The Library of Congress is excited to announce the 2022 Junior Fellows Program (JFP) open application period. We write to you today to cast a light on this opportunity and ask for your assistance in encouraging eligible students in your school to apply. Please share this guide for applying with your students.
The Junior Fellows Program is a paid, ten-week, virtual summer internship for undergraduate and graduate students. Junior Fellows work remotely with Library of Congress collections under the guidance of specialists and curators, gaining professional experience and producing a portfolio of work that increases access to the institution’s resources.
Wednesday, October 6, 2021: Application period
Monday, November 8, 2021: Application period closes
Monday, May 23, 2022: JFP starts
Friday, July 29, 2022: JFP ends
How to Apply
- Prepare to Apply. Read the full description of the Junior Fellows Program on the Library’s Internships and Fellowships Opportunities portal, and get familiar with the expectations and eligibility criteria. Read through the list of projects and look for topics that align with your interests and goals.
- If this is your first time applying through USAJOBS.gov, you’ll want to create a login.gov account. Next, create a profile in USAJOBS.gov.
- Read the Job Posting Thoroughly. Click the USAJOBS.gov link from the full Junior Fellows Program description to access the job posting and preview the vacancy questions.
- Request Your Transcript. Request your transcript through your university. Because delivery can take a while, try to request your transcript as early as you can. Read the full JFP description to determine what will and won’t be accepted as a transcript.
- Build Your Resume. Build your federal style resume in USAJOBS.gov. If you have an existing resume, be sure to convert it to federal style before uploading.
- Gather Your References. You don’t need to submit letters of reference for the JFP application, but you’ll want to give your references a heads up that you’ll be submitting their names and contact info. Your references will be contacted only if you are selected for the internship.
- Submit the Application. When you have all your materials prepared, you’re ready to submit the application via USAJOBS.gov. The deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Monday, November 8.
- Questions? Be sure to check out the FAQs for JFP in the full description of the program. If you can’t find your answer in the FAQs, feel free to email us: email@example.com.