Site news

Application Now Open for American Women’s History Initiative

por Jean Medastin -
Número de respuestas: 0

Paid 2023 Because of Her Story Cohort Internship Program

June 12–August 4, 2023

Application open January 9—February 13, 2023

* The application will close when the system receives 400 applicants or 9:00am EST on February 13, 2023, whichever comes first. Apply early!*

Contribute to a national effort to share a diversity of women's voices from the past and present through the Because of Her Story (BOHS) Cohort Internship Program. Interns will amplify women’s stories to tell a more complete American history, reach a diverse audience, and empower and inspire people from all walks of life.

As part of the Smithsonian American Women’s History Initiative (AWHI), the Smithsonian will host a cohort of 14 BOHS interns in Washington, D.C. Through a variety of experiential learning opportunities, including a hands-on internship with a designated Smithsonian unit, BOHS interns will gain a deeper understanding about museum and educational best practices, and will help further the work of the American Women’s History Initiative.

The program was professional, personal, and academic development. I met mentors and future professional contacts. I made some great friends. All the while, I was learning from the stories of many diverse women, both historically and contemporarily. I dove headfirst into the world of museums, archives, and libraries. I discovered so much more than I thought was possible.”   ̴2021 BOHS Alumni

Who Is Eligible to Apply?

•           Undergraduate college students (rising sophomores, juniors, or seniors)

•           Recent graduates from an undergraduate program (within 15 months of June 2023; those who graduated in Spring 2022 are eligible to apply)

•           Must have a commitment to women's history

•           Must be at least 18 years old and have a GPA of 3.0 or higher

What Is the Because of Her Story Cohort Internship Program?

An eight-week cohort internship experience with a weekly $400 stipend, provided housing in Washington, D.C., and reimbursement for travel to and from Washington, D.C.

Where Is It? 

All interns will be based in Washington, D.C. Cohort Learning Experiences will be in-person in Washington, D.C. Internship projects will either be onsite in-person at a Smithsonian museum or research center, online virtually with a Smithsonian museum or research center, or a hybrid of both (locations are noted in each project description).

When Is It?

June 12 – August 4, 2023

For program information and how to apply, visit: https://womenshistory.si.edu/news/apply-2023-because-her-story-cohort-internship-program

Erin Dowdy

she/her/hers

Because of Her Story Cohort Internship Program Coordinator 

American Women’s History Initiative

Smithsonian Institution